Point-S South West Masters Motocross Championship

Report and pictures by Dave Rich

Todd Kellett (Dragon Tek/St Blazey Mx Yamaha) 
           Last Sunday the penultimate round of the Point-S South West Masters Championships made its way down to Cornwall to the ever popular Landrake Moto Parc. The track had been watered prior to the meeting and was in prime condition, as usual and with a light drizzle in the air early morning it was to produce some excellent racing in all classes.
          In the 24MX Expert Championship it was Championship leader Luke Hawkins, on the Cheddar Mx Honda who had posted the fastest time in qualifying by some three seconds.  This gave him first pick of the gate and he was to use that to great advantage as he had the holeshot from Todd Kellett on the two-Stroke Dragon Tek/St Blazey Mx Yamaha with Jamie Skuse on the Tony Maunders Racing Suzuki tucked in third.          
          Hawkins was in a real hurry at the front and pulled away from Kellett. But the real battle was going on for third place as Skuse was being pushed by wildcard Jason Meara from Ireland on the Phoenix Tools Apico Kawasaki. Meara, who was having his fist ride at this venue was trying many different lines to get past, but the battle came to an end on lap three when Meara went down. Josh Taylor on the DirtWheelz Kawasaki was now in fourth. Meanwhile back at the front Hawkins was still leading, but not pulling away and this stayed the same for a couple of laps. Later, Kellett closed right up and was to leave his breaking a bit later going in to a downhill lefthander and sneaked through in to the lead and went on to take the win from Hawkins with Skuse taking third.

Luke Hawkins (Cheddar Mx Honda)
           At the start of the second moto and in a bit tight bit of track going into the uphill right hander Hawkins went down with Kellett running in to the back of him and also coming off, which relegated both to the back of the pack. This left Skuse with the lead, but on the second corner Meara shot through on the inside to take control of the race.
          Ben Butler, on the Tony Maunders Racing Kawasaki was in third for a while, but all eyes were on Kellett who was on a mission and was soon to up with Butler on lap three. He passed him and was now up in to third with his eyes set on catching Skuse. By this time Meara had a four second lead at the front and was looking good until he got a nasty kick when jumping in to the valley and landed a bit sideways and took a tumble which gifted the lead to Skuse. But all this time Kellett was reeling him in the leader, and on lap six Kellett forced his two-Stroke to the front passing Skuse on a fast downhill section.  From there went on to take his second win of the day from Skuse with Hawkins coming home in third.
          In the last race there was no Meara as he had been taken to Hospital with an arm injury. The third and final race was a close encounter at the front between Skuse and Hawkins with Hawkins pipping Skuse in to the second corner to take the lead. Kellett was soon in to third and was all over Skuse towards the end of the opening lap. He got passed on lap two and was soon breathing all over Hawkins. This went on for a couple more laps with Hawkins dealing with the pressure, until a slight mistake from Hawkins on lap five as he run a bit wide on a right hander left the door open and through went Kellett. It was at the same place as in the opening race leaving his breaking later in to a downhill lefthander and from there went on untroubled and made it a hat trick of wins on the day.   

James Kensington (250 Tony Maunders Racing KTM) 
            In the Wulfsport over thirty fives Championship there was no Championship leader in the shape of Wayne Shimell as he had broken his wrist, so the Championship was set to have a new leader at the end of the day. In the opening race it was the Cheddar Mx Honda of Darren Banwell who currently sits second in the standings who had a blistering start and with a clear track in front of him raced away to take a start to finish win over the Tony Maunders Racing two-Stroke KTM of James Kensington and the Cheddar Mx two-Stroke KTM of Ben Harmon.
           In the second again moto, it was Banwell who led for most of the opening lap from Kensington, but Banwell got cross rutted trying to close the door on Kensington into a lefthander and went over the handlebars which left him a bit winded and he pulled out. Kensington who was having his first season in the Over thirty-five class was in fine form and stormed away and took the win by some 15 seconds from Harmon with Mike Burgess taking third.
           The last race saw Banwell back and he again hit the front from the off and was soon in to a rhythm at the front from Kensington who had Harmon all over him and it wasn’t long before Harmon passed Kensington and was trying to close on Banwell, but it was too much to ask and Banwell took the win and has now taken the lead in the Championship, Harmon just held on to take second with Kensington third which gave Kensington his first overall on the day and has now moved him up in to second in the standings and trails Banwell by just four points with one round remaining.    

Kieran Yorke (250f Honda)
           In the Wulfsport over fourty-fives Championship leader Leigh Williams on the J D Racing KTM was to take the overall with two wins and a third with his nearest rival in the Championship David Ford on two-Stroke Husqvarna winning the other race.
            The JCT Developments Junior Championship has really heated up with the Championship taking on a new leader in the shape of Kieran Yorke who just managed to hold off Ben Clayton in the closing stages of the opening race to take the win by the closest of margins, but he wasted no time in hitting the front in the second race and took a comfortable win, but in the last race he had no answer to the leading two and it was Clayton who took the win from Louie Kessell with Yorke taking third.
            In the Junior B class there was two wins for Jonathan Budd with the other win going to Kurt Pugsley.
            The Junior C class also saw some close racing with jack Napier winning the opening two.

Overall Results

24MX expert championship:
1. Todd Kellett (250 Dragon Tek / St Blazey Yamaha)
2. Luke Hawkins (450f Cheddar Mx Honda)
3. Jamie Skuse (450f Tony Maunders Racing Suzuki)
4. Josh Taylor (250f Dirtwheelz Kawasaki)
5. Rob Cross (Kawasaki)
6. Kelvin Townsend (450f Tony Maunders Racing Yamaha)

Wulfsport over 35 Championship:
1. James Kensington (250 Tony Maunders Racing KTM)
2. Ben Harmon (300 Cheddar Mx KTM)
3. Mike Burgess (450f Kawasaki)
4. Darren Banwell (450f Cheddar Mx Honda)
5. Lee Randall-Smith (450f Honda)
6. Peter Bulley (350f KTM)

Wulfsport over 45 championship:
1. Leigh Williams (450f J D Racing KTM)
2. David Ford (250 Projuice Husqvarna)
3. Neil Stephens (450f Yamaha)
4. Richard Tapscott (450f Yamaha)
5. Dean Davies (350f Tony Maunders Racing Husqvarna)
6. Wayne Slater (450f Yamaha)

JCT Developments junior ‘A’:
1. Kieran Yorke (250f Honda)
2. Ben Clayton (250f Wheeldon Off-Road Centre Kawasaki)
3. Louie Kessell (250f Kessell Commercials / Judd Racing KTM)
4. Daniel Wade (250f Yamaha)
5. Thomas Townrow (250f KTM)
6. Harvey James (250f Foxhayes Carsales / Wright Racing KTM)

JCT Developments junior ‘B’:
1. Jonathan Budd (Kawasaki)
2. Corey Hawkins (Kawasaki)
3. Robert Richards (Husq)
4. Ashley Volts (Yamaha)
5. Daniel Budd (Kawasaki)
6. Ben Bowden (Yamaha)

JCT Developments junior ‘C’:
1. Jack Napier
2. Andrew Wright
3. Mark Hoskin
4. Ashley Wigmore
5. Joseph Williams
6. John Turner